Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The True, Healthy Detox


Hello!

You must have heard this lots and lots of times, especially during this new era of social media, but we care too much about looks. And you know, I'm not saying this as your old bitter uncle in a family gathering, complaining about the teens of today, not at all. I'm saying this as a teen, because I know just how easy it is to get sucked in towards these things, especially as a young girl.

We're constantly fed with ideas of what we should be, dress like, act like, eat, drink. We may not bend from these pressures but it definitely gets stuck in our brain, like a small annoying reminder when we go against these stuff. We may see a photo of someone beautiful and joke about it like #goals, but in fact inside we'd kill for a body like that, for a pretty nose that model has, for those fashionable clothes we wish we had money for. Now, when you face these things, you can act in 3 certain ways. 

  1. You can live in bitterness and refuse to be anything like them, claiming that you love yourself like that and laugh at them and try to get away from everything fashion/makeup/whatever related, mock other people who do like those stuff and pretend you're on a higher level than them; 
  2. you can totally let yourself go, loose control, spend hours on instagram searching fitspo posts, try to be someone you're not, completely over do it;
  3.  and you can accept that there is an healthy balance, because there really is one. 

I'm not perfect, I've been that first phase, full on hating other women who even wore mascara, preaching the more natural look whilst feeling awful on the inside, living in bitterness. I've never been that second phase, but I'mm trying to reach that balance. I love makeup, I do, but I'm more than that, and I've realized that I've only gone make up free in public like at least 10 times in the past year and a half. It's completely fine, I'm comfortable that way, I'm not trying to over do anything and to change my face, only to enhance some stuff, but that's not all that I am, and I'm afraid I've kind of let that image of me sink into other peoples minds, and I don't want that. It's brave to wear makeup here in Portugal, it's not something that people use a lot, it's something that it's judged, mocked largely both by men and women, but I'll never ever feel guilty for wearing it, that's a promise I've made to myself. But now, I think it's time for a bit of a detox. Not from outside pressures, but to prove myself that I have it in me. So I plan on:

  • Don't wear makeup at home or in public for 1 week
  • Don't visit any social media for that week, and maybe extend it to 2 weeks
  • Don't buy anything beauty/fashion related for 1 month

Now, some people must be like "o...kay.. that's not hard at all" but I'd be lying if I say the idea for me doesn't scare me a bit. I want to detox myself, because although our looks are a way of self expression, and even a powerful weapon, they can be stressful and superficial. I want to be able to prove that to myself. And also get away from social media because it usually gives me urges to buy some stuff or I obsessively check toxic people photos that I know are going to make me angry and I still do, so yeah, a full on detox. I want to feel more clean, I want to feel inspired, I want to change the game, to break some black and white notions. I don't feel ashamed for being who I am, I'm proud that I'm committing to this idea. I love the internet, I love make up, and I love myself, and I have the ability to create a balance between addiction and poison vs. true freedom and a clear mind. 




There, have some inspo to also commit to this in case you find yourself in the same state of mind and restlessness as I am, and good luck. I also urge you to check out this site and this instagram account and read through the photos and different pages, she was the person who inspired me. Once again, good luck.



No comments:

Post a Comment