Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Hyper Pigmentation | Skincare Week

Hello!

As I've mentioned in a previous post, although my skin has been clearing up, I still suffer from hyper pigmentation which is a common skin condition that causes certain parts of the skin to be darker than others due to excess melanin. Many things can cause your skin to be hyper-pigmented like acne, which was my case. So I’ve come up with this list of a few products, remedies and makeup tips to help in case you suffer from it:


Things that cause hyper-pigmentation:
  • Hormonal changes;
  • Picking your skin;
  • Overexposure to sun;
  • Inflammation and skin injuries (this includes acne).

How to prevent hyper-pigmentation:
  • Wear sunscreen. I can't stress this enough! Some time ago I saw it as a waste of time and energy, something that I only did when I was at the beach and I thought I didn't even needed because I'm already tan. But the environment can still take its toll on your skin even if you’re not at the beach! Daily sunscreen use has so many benefits such as protecting your skin from free-radicals and environmental pollution, prevent sagging and loose skin (the sun breaks down the elasticity and collagen in the skin), and you guessed it, discoloration and sun spots. So you should wear sunscreen of at least SPF15 but I go a lot higher, the sunscreen I use is SPF50. It doesn’t matter what the weather is, or your skin tone, always wear sunscreen.
  • Exfoliate regularly, as discoloration also comes from dead cells on the surface. If you have sensitive skin, I'd say, exfoliate once or maybe twice a week. If you have a different skin type, exfoliate 2-3 times a week. If you have a lot of acne, don't use face scrubs to exfoliate, try using a mild exfoliant.

Products that help hyper-pigmentation:

Kiehl's Clearly Corrective: I will forever rave about this product and recommend it to other people suffering from hyper pigmentation. In just two weeks of incorporating this in my day and night routine I saw major differences. You only need 3 drops of this so it lasts a long long time.
Mario Badescu Vitamin C Serum: This Vitamin C Serum reduces discoloration and brightens skin. It's also formulated with acids that retain the skin's natural moisture and collagen that enhances the skin's elasticity.
Aloe Vera Gel for hyper-pigmentation caused by acne, as I've mentioned in yesterday's post.
Neutrogena Sunscreen SPF 60: For those who need extra protection I've heard great things about this sun screen.
Rentin A-Gel:
 This definitely clears pigmentation and I've heard is one of the best medicines you can get without going to a dermatologist. It’s low cost, which makes it not as fast acting as the others, so I'd pair it up with other products!


Using makeup to color correct your hyper-pigmentation:

So as you might know I'm pretty much obsessed with makeup which helps me cover up these spots. I'm still very new to color correcting but people who wear makeup have been using this technique to cover up any blemishes or discoloration for ages! When you color correct you’re basically taking your under tones and correcting any blemishes you may have with with those colors. My under tones are peach, if you have darker skin they may be more reddish but you can always check and see which tones work for you. Here’s a chart to find out which colors to use. There are awesome tutorials on youtube that you can search for to find the best products and colours for your skin tone. To finish this post up, I'll leave you with some good colour correcting products:



● Inês ●

No comments:

Post a Comment