Tuesday, December 29, 2015

7| Read This, Watch That

I haven't done one of these posts in forever! Honestly, I haven't been doing a lot of reading or watching any TV shows at the moment, but I did read Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn back in October, which yes, is a long time ago, but ya'll, this book is so good. I devoured it in less than 1 week, every time I opened it I knew I wasn't to get any sleep cause I was about to spend my entire night reading it. I fell in love with Gillian's writing with Gone Girl which I'm sure most of you will have heard of, so I asked my family this book for my birthday because I couldn't get enough of it!
So what is it about?


"Fresh from a brief stay at a psych hospital, reporter Camille Preaker faces a troubling assignment: she must return to her tiny hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls. For years, Camille has hardly spoken to her neurotic, hypochondriac mother or to the half-sister she barely knows: a beautiful thirteen-year-old with an eerie grip on the town. Now, installed in her old bedroom in her family's Victorian mansion, Camille finds herself identifying with the young victims—a bit too strongly. Dogged by her own demons, she must unravel the psychological puzzle of her own past if she wants to get the story—and survive this homecoming." - (x)

Whomever has read Gone Girl knows that Gillian does not shy away from gory details, and this book does have a lot of trigger warnings, since the descriptions are so graphic. It's a bit traumatizing, really. This book is just good storytelling in its purest form. She is so skillful portraying how different people react to abuse through their lives, and how some even perpetrate it. That's another thing I love about her writing, she loves giving women all the wicked parts, which is so refreshing. It gives this three dimensionality to women that we don't often see. It makes them believable. In her stories, men are only pawns in their sick games and it's delicious to read about it. Wind Gap, the fictional city where the story takes place, is filled to the core with dark secrets, and as the story unfolds you're able to unravel them and get to meet really twisted people. This isn't a comfortable read, there isn't romance, there is not a happy ending. This straight up twisted, morbid, painful, dark and disturbing, but it's deeply fascinating, or so I've found. It is a bit slow paced at first, until everything starts tumbling down, then it is so hard to put down, it actually made my heart race so fast I thought I was going to have an anxiety attack. Gosh, this book made me feel things, it felt so real. It was an amazing read and definitely one of my favourite books ever.



● Inês ●

No comments:

Post a Comment