Sunday, April 17, 2016

My Skin Story | Skincare Week

Hello!

My skin and I have had a love/hate relationship ever since I can remember, for me it has always been a battle to get smooth, pretty skin like everyone around me had. 

When you go into your teens every grown up tries to convince you that having pimples is a normal thing at your age and although obviously some of my friends had them it was always that hormonal pimple or the "I ate 3 bars of chocolate by myself" kind of pimple. I had to struggle through very very sensitive, oily/combination skin with cystic acne and back acne for years and years while everyone around me had passed through their pimple phase and now had clear skin. When I say very very sensitive skin I mean... really the most sensitive skin I've ever seen, prone to breakouts, rashes, rosacea. Some products had explosive results on me to the point where it hurt if I laid my face on the pillow, so yeah, extremely sensitive skin. I went to a dermatologist but for years didn't see any results, the issue was always there. If you're acne prone or have cystic acne, you'll relate to my stress, anxiety and frustration with battling with this for so long because even if we're good at self acceptance, it's very difficult to ignore something that it's on our face all the time and not compare ourselves to our friends and acquaintances. It might sound dramatic or "1st world problems" but it's harsh to live in a society where your bombarded with what you should ideally look like and simply not looking like that and never seeing someone with whom you could relate with. 

Finally after years and years of no results (and 113271383 different products later) my dermatologist decided that it was better if I started taking these pills for a special, heavier treatment and my skin has never been better! This pill will first cause your skin to breakout and then dry it completely out, and I mean completely. It was weird on the first weeks of the treatment because since I had oily skin I was accustomed to at the end of the day be a greasy mess and now I get dry patches and flaky skin and even my lips feel a constant need of hydration which never happened, but honestly if this is the minor stuff I have to go through to have better skin, it's worth it, more worth it than years of the oily mess I was. The relief is indescribable, to touch your skin and it to feel smooth and not hurt, and feel confident to go out without any makeup feels like a huge weight has been lifted off me. I had to adapt to this sudden change of my skin type like readjusting my skincare routine and makeup products.
I have learnt to love my skin, even if now it is full of hyper pigmentation from all the breakouts I used to have, and I want everyone that is or has dealt with cystic acne to feel like they're worth it, that eventually it will pass. In this process of getting my skin to a better state, I have also picked up knowledge about skincare and skincare products which is a topic that just like makeup (and they go hand in hand) I'm very passionate about. So I thought of this: for a week, I'll be making posts with tips and recommendations relating to skincare; and why not start things off with sharing my own skin story to let you know that you're not alone in case you're going through what I had to go through, and to just let you know of my current situation. I hope you'll like these week's posts and get something out of them, see you tomorrow!


● Inês ●

No comments:

Post a Comment